Wednesday, September 1, 2010

The Kids Are Damn Good


When I first saw the trailer for The Kids Are All Right, my initial reaction was one of despair. At the time, I was shopping my own comedy spec about a sperm donor who's discovered by his sperm children (in my script, there were 412 of them), and suddenly found myself in a jam. The director who'd attached himself to the project was no longer interested, and I was stuck without many places to go. So for several weeks, I avoided seeing the film, but the buzz was so good I knew I had to see it before it left the theaters.


It turns out that The Kids Are All Right is the best film I've seen all year. I enjoyed Inception, but its lack of character development kept me from becoming strongly invested in the story. The Kids Are All Right has an honest script that lets things play out realistically, flawed characters who drive the story by their choices and mistakes, and an incredible cast. I've never liked Julianne Moore or Mark Ruffalo as much as in this film, and Annette Bening is top notch as usual. And because it's ultimately more about the family than the sperm donor, it's different enough from mine that I still may have a shot. So I forgive you for making a great film.

4 comments:

  1. Great review, Tate. I've had this film on my radar, as it seems like a small serving of smart in another summer of DUMB. Between Polanski's The Ghost Writer, Winter's Bone, Inception and That Evening Sun, I'd say it's been a dismal year for quality filmmaking.

    I wouldn't sweat the similarity in your premises, either. If anything it becomes a selling point to the empty suit you might pitch your script to. Just remember to speak slowly and keep your sentences concise. "It's The Kids Are Alright meets The Hangover..."

    SOLD!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, thanks bro. I think the Jennifer Aniston sperm comedy "The Switch" might actually suck though, and that would hurt me. "Sperm donor films are box office poison!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great blog, Pete, by the way. It's motivated me to work more on mine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, man. Your movie reviews and observations are pretty poignant. Worth reading for sure. Keep it up.

    I felt kind of lame joining the ranks of desperate writers blogging and tweeting but maybe it'll help sell a few copies of my novel down the road. I just look at it as an opportunity to rave and drool, in effect just talking to myself online. As if I don't get enough practice talking to myself at home or while roaming the streets waving a loaded handgun.

    ReplyDelete